June 28, 2004

Tale of two Dems

I was talking to my mother a little while ago and was telling her to read this by former Mayor Koch ripping F911.

She replied with this by Rex Reed which was sent to her by a friend who now lives in California (where else).

Apart from any other problems I find Mr. Reed's piece very offensive. Forget that he agrees with every un truth that F911 has, I find he tone to be very disrespectful. Comparing the two articles both by democrats (I assume Mr. Reed is a Dem) shows how far the Dems have fallen.

Mayor Koch is thoughtful and discusses facts while Mr. Reed can't resist being insulting to the president which I find insulting.

Posted by Starhawk at 10:24 PM | Politics | Comments (2) | TrackBack (0)

June 25, 2004

Just Stupid

This story is so unreal if I hadn't read I would not have thought it true. I have had trouble figuring out which topic to put it under.
Read Lion, Acidman and Meryl for their takes.
Of course last but not least, you know that Kim had something to say about this.

I am going to have a long talk with Jack (Daniels) about the idocy of people in our congress.

Posted by Starhawk at 09:43 PM | Guns and Ammo | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

June 24, 2004

Happy Anniversary

I have been real busy but I went to check out something on Blogger today and sure enough I had missed my second anniversary.
According to the old posts that I am still trying to incorporate into this site I started blogging on June 21,2002.

Son of a gun, it seems just like yesterday.

Settling into the new job. Real busy right now. I have not even been taking my usual cigar breaks. I will have to do something about that.

Posted by Starhawk at 06:30 PM | Housekeeping | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

June 21, 2004

Disband the UN

Good speech on the history of the dis-functional UN and their record on Anti-Semitism.
This is an organization that should be disbanded.
John Kerry wants to turn our security over to them.

Israel successfully targeted Hamas terrorist Abdel Aziz Rantissi with no civilian casualties, the secretary-general denounced Israel for an "extrajudicial" killing. But when faced with the 2004 report of the U.N. special rapporteur on extrajudicial executions detailing the murder of more than 3,000 Brazilian civilians shot at close range by police, Mr. Annan chose silence. That's discrimination.

Link via Glenn.

June 20, 2004

What are they thinking

Looking around you can sometimes find things of interest where you don't expect them.
I was surfing along and I happened on this column from the Khaleen Times.

In a matter of a few days, when power is handed over to Iraqis in Baghdad, that war issue will be sidelined there. People live in their todays. More employment opportunities mean more earnings for families, and happier lives. The bottom line is money. Bush knows it best, and hence his emphasis on economic recovery.

As Glenn would say, indeed.

Posted by Starhawk at 10:18 PM | The World | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

Kerry Taking Money from Asians

Presidential candidate takes cash from koreans. That sounds a lot like other stories in the past.

I love this story:

John Kerry's campaign collected a maximum $2,000 check from the recently arrested son of South Korea's disgraced former president, and some of its fund-raisers met several times with a South Korean government official who was trying to organize a Korean-American political group.

I love this part too.

The Kerry campaign said it did not know about the $2,000 donation from Chun Jae-yong or his background until informed by The Associated Press and has decided to return the money to avoid any appearance of impropriety.

Translation: We got caught so we are giving it back so you can't yell at us.
They never should have taken it in my opinion.

Posted by Starhawk at 06:28 PM | Politics | Comments (2) | TrackBack (0)

June 19, 2004

Yahoo vs. Gmail

I entirely forgot this week to talk about Yahoo's answer to google's Gmail.
They have expanded the free online storage to 100mb from 6mb which is something I have wanted for a while.

I don't know if Gmail's 1gb of space is all that smart. It sounds like another corner of cyberspace for me to clutter up with mail I will never again look at.

I asked for a Gmail account, since I love trying new things, and have not yet been given one. Some people have it easier in that all they have to do is post on their blog that they would like one and their wish is granted by helpful readers.
I guess you just have to ask the right people.

Posted by Starhawk at 03:17 PM | Technology | Comments (3) | TrackBack (0)

June 18, 2004

War is hell

The big news for today is the latest beheading outrage.
This liberal from Boston seems determined to find some moral equivilence in this all.

I don't agree and neither do some other bloggers who I follow more often.

Posted by Starhawk at 11:48 PM | War on Terror | Comments (2) | TrackBack (0)

June 16, 2004

Report From Minute Maid

Had a busy on my first day on the job and then I had some fun even though I had to drive downtown to get it. I was one of a group of people invited to see the Astros game tonight for a freebe in a fancy box. It is nice to see how the other half lives.
This was my ticket. Notice the price. I don't think I have ever paid $100 for a ball game, world series included.

This is the view from inside our suite. Notice the oddles of food that I happily stuffed myself on and washed down with all the beer I wanted to drink.

This is the view of our suite from the other side of the park.

This is the outside of our little room which was big enough for 70 people but nicely fit the thirty of us that were there.

Minute Maid like most ballparks does not allow smoking anymore inside the park. Unlike most parks Minute Maid has balconies of the outside wall of the park where smokers can go and indulge not bothering the masses. This is the balcony on the suite level where I had a cigar during the sixth inning.

All in a ll a very nice day with one exception. The Astros LOST.
Oh well I guess you can't have everything.

Posted by Starhawk at 11:30 PM | Houston | Comments (4) | TrackBack (0)

June 14, 2004

Twenty Questions

Who was this quote talking about:

When a politician claims that God favors his programs, alarm bells should ring If there is anything that should be illegitimate in the American system, it is such use of sectarian religiosity to sell a political program. And this was done not by some fringe figure, but by the President of the United States.

If you said GWB you are WRONG! It was Ronald Reagan.

Go over to Right Thinking fron the Left Coast and see if you can guess which are talking about President number 43 and which about President number 40.

Posted by Starhawk at 09:06 PM | Politics | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

What I like about Root Canals

NOTHING

On the other hand that is one ordeal that is over even though I still have an infection so I had to refill another script.

Tomorrow is my last day on the old job, YAAAA!

Wenesday I start the new one and as an added treat Microsoft is treating a group of us user group types to an evening at the ball game, in a company box no less.

Posted by Starhawk at 08:33 PM | Home and Family | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

June 12, 2004

Busy few Days

Been really busy the last few days.
On top of everything else that was going on the wife had some chest pains and spent Thursday night as a guest of the local hospital.
She was surprised when she went into the ER on Thursday that they wanted to keep her but better safe I guess.
I managed to spring her yesterday. They had taken all the tests they needed but were dragging their feet since I think they wanted her to stay another night to help pay off the new wing.

Today we went to see the new Harry Potter. Great fun.

She must be thinking about health in general since both she and my daughter refused to let me visit the cheesecake factory.

I am still taking the antibiotics but it doesn't hurt like it did last week so I have decided to save the rest of the Vics.

Two days to root canal. Two more days on the old job.

Posted by Starhawk at 10:40 PM | Home and Family | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

June 09, 2004

Ronald Reagan

Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have.

Ronald Reagan

June 08, 2004

Sue me

I know I have not been posting much of anything lately but I am finishing up one job, getting ready to start the new one and though the antibiotics are working I still hurt a lot.
You got a problem with that?
See the title of this post.

5 days left on the old job.
6 days left till the root canal.

Of course counting weekends the root canal will come on my next to last day on the old job.

Posted by Starhawk at 10:29 PM | Home and Family | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

Ronald Reagan

When you see all that rhetorical smoke billowing up from the Democrats, well ladies and gentleman, I'd follow the example of their nominee; don't inhale.

Ronald Reagan - Republican National Convention, 1992

June 06, 2004

Ronald Reagan

Whenever I am able to get into the annex again I will add this entire speech to the permanent collection.

We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so we may always be free.

President Ronald Reagan, June 6, 1984. Normandy, France.

June 05, 2004

President Reagan Dies

Our greatest living president has passed away.
Condolences go out to Nancy, Michael and the rest of the family.
More on this later.

Posted by Starhawk at 04:45 PM | History | Comments (1) | TrackBack (0)

Pain

I have not been having good days or nights recently hence the lack of posts.
I have been taking my amoxocilin regularly and vicoden and aspirin.
I am groggy during the day and wake up at night in pain.
My dental appointment is not until the 14th.
I am not a happy camper.

Posted by Starhawk at 03:38 PM | Home and Family | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

June 03, 2004

Dragon

Ok maybe its not a dragon but I sure got a lot of them all over the place.
I would have more rose pictures if the deer would stop eating them.

June 02, 2004

Tooth works

Well I was right, as usual, there is a root canal in my near future.
I went in early and they took an X-ray but saw nothing. The dentist did a freeze test on the tooth I was complaining about and nothing.
Next he decided to take an X-ray of the one above. I looked at him, quizzically?
"Sometimes the pain migrates"
Sure enough the upper tooth has an infection and a bad root.
I left with Vikiden and anti-biotics. Went to work and had an awful day.
Nine days left.

Posted by Starhawk at 09:58 PM | Home and Family | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

June 01, 2004

Bad Tooth

I had two meetings today, had to call all sorts of people to arrange my last day and one of my teeth decided to cause me a lot of pain on top of everything else going on.
I did manage to get an appointment to see the dentist in the morning. I just hope I am not going to have to get another root canal. I hate those.

Posted by Starhawk at 11:37 PM | Home and Family | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

Homeland Security Myths

One thing I learned during the last few months is that there is no truth to the story that the feds are not spending enough on Homeland security.
The truth is that the feds are pumping money out so fast that most local and state governments can't figure out how to spend it fast enough.

Change of Life

Well I decided to make the plunge.
I have been working under contract since January for the city of Houston. Since they are or can be picky I had decided not to reveal this previously but since I gave two weeks notice today it doesn't much matter anymore.
That's right, in two weeks I will have to resign from the unemployed bloggers web ring (hopefully forever) as I take a full time job.
In addition to getting more money it is about half the distance I am currently driving.
The only bad thing about it is that I was doing Homeland security related stuff for the city (most of which I can't discuss) and it was interesting to be working on something that made a difference and might actually save someones life in a bad situation. I will miss that part or it and some of the really good people I worked with but it was time to move on.

Posted by Starhawk at 11:13 PM | JobHunting | Comments (4) | TrackBack (0)