November 28, 2004

Sad Days

It is never a good thing to lose a pet as my friend and the designer behind this site Joni has just done.

We have also had a recent loss as my daugther's cat Moonlight who was only 18 months old passed away last week. His kitty picture is here. We think he was poisoned by something he stepped on while exploring under the sink. Possibly the same thing that killed her other cat several months ago.

We have cleaned out everything under the sink and I will be putting in latches before she gets another cat. Hopefully it won't happen again.

It is never easy to lose a pet.

Posted by Starhawk at 09:02 PM | Dogs and Cats | Comments (0)

Oni-con

I have a bunch of catching up to do and some pictures to post here about Oni-con.
what is Oni-Con you ask? Glad you asked.
It is an Anime convention that was held in Houston for the first time this year. I think they hold them in other cities but this was the first in Houston. I found out about and debated if I should tell my daughter or not. I did and of course she insisted I take her.
My flash skills are not the greatest so much of the pictures I took didn't come out too well but these three will give you a taste of what I let myself in for.

It was help back on Oct. 23 but I did say this was catching up didn't I.

I have no idea who these two characters are supposed to be:

Or these for that matter.

These at least I know came from a series that she watches called Inuyasha

Ok I will admit it I had a good time and if I were a teenager I probably would have went anyway, of course then I would have needed someone to drive me.

The convention ran for three days and according to the organizers I spoke with the turnout totally overwhelmed them. I guess that means they will do it again next year.

Posted by Starhawk at 08:48 PM | Home and Family | Comments (0)

Peeps of the Year - Bloggers

I don't know how Time does their selection but if you are looking for a group that has had influence in the past year I would vote for bloggers.

Last year we were pretty much a fringe group. Oh we had been around for a while, even I had been blogging for more than 18 months at this time last year, but every time there was a mention of bloggers on a major media outlet it was a big thing and lots of us wrote it up. Now I am stuck by how many matter of fact references Bloggers get and how many people have heard of us. Even my cousin in NYC who doesn't have a computer knows about bloggers.

People like Glenn, Jeff and Roger are regularly of news shows.

The reason for this is of course Rathergate, but if it hadn't been that there would have been another incident where the new media broke out to such an extent that they could not be ignored by the dinosaurs at Black Rock and other media fortresses.
Maybe it would have been the UN Oil for food scam which is still being under investigated.

Whatever it might have been it would have happened and now the genie is out of the bottle. We are strong, we are invincible, I just hope that we don't get so full of ourselves that we become stupid.

Note:
Man of the Year should really be Prisedent Bush but the wimps at Time will go to any extreme in order to not give him his due.

Posted by Starhawk at 01:16 PM | Other Bloggers | Comments (0)

November 24, 2004

Non-Political Blogging

I came home early this afternoon and was watching CNBC , which I usually don't do this early, and they featured a Blogger, Queen of Sky whose blog is called the Diary of a Flight Attendant. I guess you could call it non-political except all of a sudden she is in the middle of a free speech fight since her airline(Delta) has canned her becuase of some pictures that she posted on her site. (scroll down)

More on this from Cathy Seipp.

Posted by Starhawk at 10:13 PM | Other Bloggers | Comments (0)

I am posting more?

Well at least Stoney seems to think so. I guess I was posting even less than I thought. I do have a bunch of pictures to put up maybe even tonight.

I have four days off who knows what I might do.

Have a happy Turkey day everyone.

Posted by Starhawk at 09:31 PM | Other Bloggers | Comments (0)

November 21, 2004

Locusts invade Israel

It is funny how you find out interesting facts about things you didn't know.
Locusts facts are here.

In this story we find out that locusts are not only edible but are considered a delicacy by some.

There are even web sites listing the proper care and preparation, here and here to link to just a few.

A Web Site in Eilat listed recipes for locusts including locust shish-kebab, locust chips (French fries) and stir-fried locusts. The recipes said it was essential to cook the insects while alive "as otherwise they become bitter."

Even odder is this fact that I never knew.

The locust is the only type of insect that is kosher and permissible for religious Jews to eat under Jewish law.

Locusts are Kosher, amazing.

Posted by Starhawk at 01:44 PM | Misc. | Comments (0)

November 20, 2004

One Game can make a season

OSU 37
UM 21

Woo Hoo!

As we used to say in college "Screw the Blue!

Posted by Starhawk at 07:01 PM | College Football | Comments (0)

The Clinton Legacy

I don't often watch late night TV since I get up at 5am but tonight I did and these two jokes caught my attention.

1- The Clinton Library opened this week. It costs $7.00 to get in but the good news is that every night is lady's night.

2. The Clinton Library opened this week with 80 million items, three of which had not been inside Monica Lewensky.

Pretty funny but not the kind of legacy he imagined for himself.
Forget Hillary in 2008, she's toast.

Posted by Starhawk at 12:07 AM | Politics | Comments (0)

November 14, 2004

Bengal Tiger

This has not been a very good year for us rose wise. This little but pretty rose has been a bright spot in an otherwise disappointing year.
It is a florabunda that we got from Chamblee's and should probably be in a place where it gets more sun than it does.

Posted by Starhawk at 09:55 PM | 2004 Garden Pics | Comments (0)

Bad year for my teams

Ohio State lost yesterday. It has been a very bad year for my team as this was our 4th lost this year. When I was in college I don't think we had that many losses in my entire life as an undergrad.

It is hard to explain how years after we have left our colleges we can still invest so much in the teams of our youth.

I am however not alone as you can read over at Rob's whose team was the victim of Auburn.

Between the Yankees and the Buckeyes this has not been a very good Autumn for me sports wise. It is a good thing for Houston that I don't follow the Rockets.

Posted by Starhawk at 07:14 AM | College Football | Comments (0)

November 13, 2004

Closed Comments

In our continuing battle against comment spam, comments will be closed until I upgrade to MT 3.x.

What you are not yet?

Give me a break, these days I am lucky to find the time to post.

Posted by Starhawk at 08:03 PM | Housekeeping | Comments (0)

Go away or I will taunt you ...

This does not reflect in anyway on my boycott of almost anything French.

You are a French Guard! You love nothing better than to torment the silly English Knnnniggits...even if your insults don't make much sense--You tiny brained wiper of other people's bottoms!
You are a French Guard! You love nothing better
than to torment the silly English
Knnnniggits...even if your insults don't make
much sense--You tiny brained wiper of other
people's bottoms!

Which Monty Python & the Holy Grail Character are you REALLY?
brought to you by Quizilla

Posted by Starhawk at 07:58 PM | Web Quiz | Comments (0)

November 10, 2004

Technology Works

I found my extra trackball finally and brought it into work.
I pulled out the mouse, pluged in the trackball, all while the machine was running and it works like a champ.
That is the way technology should work.
The trackball is a Logitech.

Posted by Starhawk at 09:51 AM | Technology | Comments (0)

November 07, 2004

We're Back

Just got back from two days at the 2004 Ren Fair. As usual a good and expensive time was had by all. Pictures to follow in a few days when I recover.

Posted by Starhawk at 09:01 PM | Ren Fair | Comments (0)

November 04, 2004

Problems

We are having some technical difficulties.
Regular blogging will resume asap.

Posted by Starhawk at 06:39 AM | Housekeeping | Comments (0)