February 22, 2005

George Washington

In case you have forgotten, today is the birthday of a great american.

It is better to offer no excuse than a bad one.

George Washington, letter to his niece Harriet Washington, October 30, 1791

Posted by Starhawk at 11:05 PM | Quote of The Day | Comments (0)

February 20, 2005

Climbing High Hopes

I didn't think I had any roses blooming until I went out to the backyard yesterday and saw a spot of pink about 9 or 10 feet over my inner back fence.
It lloks very good and it smells pretty god too.
I don't remember it ever blooming this early but everything in the yard is acting odd because of the ping pong temps and the excess ground water.
It is still too wet for me to mow, I only hope the mower still works when I can finally use it.

Posted by Starhawk at 10:58 PM | 2005 Garden Pics | Comments (0)

February 19, 2005

Goings on

Speaking of Glenn whose wife is in the hospital, I offer my prayers that she her procedure goes well and she gets home soon.

On a sadder note our friend Kim had raised some money to equip some sharpshooters he had met who are now fighting for our freedoms in Iraq. One of them Sgt. Adam Plumondore has fallen victim to a car bomb attack. Our heart goes out to the family of this brave american.

Posted by Starhawk at 07:25 AM | Other Bloggers | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

Speed of the Internet

As I continue to go through closed posts to comments and pings one by one I am struck by some old posts, July 2003, where I was commenting on what a big thing it was that blogs has been mentioned on a major TV program.

If you think back just 18 months ago very few people outside of our circle knew who we were and now hardly a day goes by without blogs in general or specific bloggers (Glenn as well as Ana Marie) are been talked about or interviewed on the tube. We have not quite got respectibilty yet but respectibilty in PJ's is IMHO as amazing journey that we have gone in quite a short time.

Rock on Dudes.

Posted by Starhawk at 07:12 AM | Other Bloggers | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

February 16, 2005

First Azalea

Even in the extreme wet we have been having spring is in the air. As usual the Azalea's are one of the first and nicest of the things blooming in the garden.

I am not sure what kind this one is but it is a welcome sign of better things to come in the swamp I used to call a yard.

Posted by Starhawk at 11:26 PM | 2005 Garden Pics | Comments (2)

February 15, 2005

Things get better from there

I had a hard day at work yesterday then went over to Fry's to return a digital drawing pad I had bought from my daughter on Sturday from this company,aiptek.com. I will never buy another product of their's. My theory is that at this point if you can't even get the install program to run correctly then you don't get my money. I even went to the web site and downloaded the latest drivers and even they would not install.

Fry's was very nice but the kid had forgotten to put the CD back in the box so it was a wasted trip.

I called home and complained. I was informed that the home netowrk was down, to which my reply to the kid was to go read a book.

I had them call ahead to the Chinese place in town so the food would be ready when I picked it up. the restaurant was swamped and even though we called ahead I still had to wait over 30 min. At this point I knew this was a day to forget.

Luckily the network was not the disaster I was led to believe so I was able to veg out and kill some nasties on Ragnarok for a while.

I also spent time going through posts one at a time deleting spam comments, pings and locking down the old posts to prevent new garbage.

Today will be better. I hope..

Posted by Starhawk at 07:12 AM | Home and Family | Comments (0)

February 13, 2005

Anti-spam

Due to the latest wave of spam comments and pings I am closing both comments and pings until I can find the time to fix it somehow.

Posted by Starhawk at 09:55 PM | Housekeeping | Comments (0)

Case for Democracy

Rather long but interesting post over at Solomonia on a couple of talks that Natan sharansky gave at Harvard to promote his new dook, the Case for Democracy.

Good stuff.

Posted by Starhawk at 09:33 PM | Politics | Comments (0)

February 06, 2005

New Fruit Trees

We bought some neew fruit trees last weekend and finally put them in the group yesterday. this picture is of the four of them that we got bare root.
I know they don't look like much but I have high hopes.

These are a Flavor King Pluot, Red Baron Peach, Gulf Ruby Plum and a Katy Apricot. The Red Baron replaces one that I had pictures of last year and is just stunning, at least it was until the deer killed it.

In addition we got a Mariposa Plum and a Sunflower Paw Paw.
Hopefully they will produce some nice pictures and maybe some fruit but probably not this year.

Posted by Starhawk at 07:45 PM | 2005 Garden Pics | Comments (0)

February 04, 2005

Animal House

Dean Vernon Wormer: The time has come for someone to put his foot down. And that foot is me.

Animal House -1978

Posted by Starhawk at 11:51 PM | Quote of The Day | Comments (0)

February 03, 2005

La Bamba

Buddy Holly: The sky belongs to the stars.

La Bamba - 1987

Posted by Starhawk at 09:05 PM | Quote of The Day | Comments (0)

The Day the Music Died

A tradition around here is to listen to Don McLean's American Pie on this day.
It is a big file so I won't post it but you can go to Don's web site and read all about it.

Other sites can be found here , here and tons more elsewhere..

Posted by Starhawk at 08:50 PM | Rock Music | Comments (0)

February 02, 2005

Groundhog Day

Did you ever notice that this time every year I post a quote from the same movie? Well at least it is not the same quote.

Rita: Have you ever had déjà-vu?
Phil: Didn't you just ask me that?