July 28, 2006

Play a game

The quote of the day is one of those features that has been forgotten during my long hiatus from blogging. I decided to use it today when I read this story about the changing status of Cheyenne Mountain. The mountain you may know is or was the headquarters of NORAD and one of the star locations in the 1983 movie Wargames.

In short an early hacker breaks into the NORAD computer network and causes an AI computer to play a game that almost starts a nuclear war.

I was on the base outside the mountain years ago and it is very immpressive.

David Lightman: Hey, I don't believe that any system is totally secure.

Wargames - 1983

Posted by Starhawk at 07:50 AM | Quote of The Day | Comments (0)

July 25, 2006

Eject ....

Chapter one of Bill Whittle's new book.

Read it all.

Posted by Starhawk at 05:55 PM | Other Bloggers | Comments (0)

July 20, 2006

I hate this

Looking for a job again.
This really sucks.
I wish that Lady Luck would get off her ass and let me win the Lottery.
It doesn't have to be mega millions but 1 or 2 would sure be nice.

Posted by Starhawk at 05:53 PM | Home and Family | Comments (0)

July 12, 2006

This is cool -Fact not fiction

Paralyzed man moves computer cursor through thought

This is the kind of thing you read about in Sci Fi all the time but it looks like we are getting there.

Posted by Starhawk at 09:20 PM | Technology | Comments (0)

July 09, 2006

A house for a paper clip

This is a cute story about a guy who traded a red paper clip and through a series of trades ended up with a house.

I love the internet.

Posted by Starhawk at 03:34 PM | Misc. | Comments (0)

July 02, 2006

Of DVD's and Hotels

Well I guess I blew it.
With everything else going on in my life I never got around to finishing my second qtr posts as I intended.
Oh well I guess from our hosts rant that he finds no posts better
than lame ones so maybe it is not that bad.

One of my picks I did post about was Jerry Lewis.

This came to me last night or early this morning actually as I was watching an DVD I had picked up at Wal Mart for five bucks, of old Martin and Lewis TV shows on the Colgate Comedy hour. I could not find the same one I bought at Wal Mart on Amazon but it is similar to to this one

Not bad at all $5 (or maybe $5.50) you get 8 old TV shows. For the money not bad at all. The show we watched last night had Burt Lancaster as the guest. My daughter was not happy about watching anything in black and white but she sat through it and found it funny,

According to IMDB this was a 1953 episode, the season opener of season 4 or number 122 of 224.

I was telling this to my mom a little while ago and she told me stories about how she and my dad had seen their show (among others) at the Capitol theater before they made it real big. The Capitol was in Times Square at 1645 Broadway and designed by Thomas Lamb had over 5,000 seats and was torn down to build the Paramount Plaza hotel.

They were still living in Brooklyn at that time but like most New Yorkers of the time liked to go up to the Catskills on summer weekends where there were many hotels almost all of which are now closed.

They were up there at the Nevele once and Jerry was a guest. This made for an interesting weekend as you might imagine. She says she has some pictures somewhere of Jerry and my dad playing softball which I will post next quarter if she finds them, big if.

Another interesting fact was that Jerry and the hotel's entertainment director played off against each other the whole time making every meal quite memorable. The entertainment directors name was Buddy Hackett

Cross posted at Dead Pool 2006

Posted by Starhawk at 09:57 PM | Dead Pool | Comments (0)